- Browse Books
- WOTS 2020
- Book Blog
- Bookshop Staff Holiday Gift Recommendations 2020
- 11/23/2020: NYT Book Review 10 Best Books of 2020
- 11/19/2020: 10 best books of 2020 from The Washington Post
- 11/20/20: "Unsettled Ground" examines the shifting legacy of the 1847 Whitman massacre
- 11/19/20: Seattle’s indie booksellers suggest perfect gifts
- 11/18/2020: 6 new paperbacks
- 11/18/2020: National Book Awards announced
- Barack Obama Memoir November 17, 2020
- By-Appointment Holiday Shopping
- 15 Feel good books recommended by The Washington Post
- 11/11/2020: The Plot Thickens recommends recent crime books
- 11/12/2020: Shop Indie Bookstores now!
- 11/10/2020: Megan Rapinoe's new memoir "One Life"
- 10 books to read in November from the Washington Post
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Zoom Book Club! "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng
"Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng.
From the bestselling author of "Everything I Never Told You," a riveting novel that traces the intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family and the enigmatic mother and daughter who upend their lives.
In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is planned--from the layout of the winding roads, to the colors of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.
Enter Mia Warren--an enigmatic artist and single mother--who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenaged daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past and a disregard for the status quo that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community.
When old family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town--and puts Mia and Elena on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Elena is determined to uncover the secrets in Mia's past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs.
"Little Fires Everywhere" explores the weight of secrets, the nature of art and identity, and the ferocious pull of motherhood--and the danger of believing that following the rules can avert disaster.
The paperback edition includes: a conversation with the author, discussion questions, and a letter from the author.
Chosen by Reese Witherspoon for her bookclub: "To say I love this book is an understatement. It's a deep psychological mystery about the power of motherhood, the intensity of teenage love, and the danger of perfection. It moved me to tears." --Reese Witherspoon
The Hulu original series starring Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington, premiered on Hulu on March 18, 2020 and consists of eight episodes.
Visit celesteng.com for discussion guides and more.
To prepare for our virtual book club:
1. Send us an email here: EdmondsBookshopBookClub@gmail.com to register your email for book club membership. We will send you an invitation with a Zoom Meeting link as each book club meeting is scheduled. Once you accept the invitation it will show up in your calendar.
2. If you are not already using Zoom for family or business virtual meetings signing up for your free Zoom account is very easy. Start here: Zoom
Click on "SIGN UP, IT'S FREE" on the top right, fill in the info, and you're ready! You can choose to download the Zoom app to your desktop or continue to use Zoom in your browser. Alternatively you can download the Zoom app to your phone or tablet and sign up within the app. The Zoom app is available in the iOS and Android app stores.
[Zoom has some great help/testng for audio and video when you sign up... if you have any other issues/questions, or just would like a little help with any of the tech issues, please reach out and we will get you hooked up! Email us here.]
3. On the scheduled day and time, click on the book club meeting link in the invitation to launch Zoom and join the meeting. Though you shouldn't need to, you can also enter the Meeting ID, and password [case sensitive] if prompted. Susan will be the moderator/host of the meeting.
Bring a beverage of your choice, bring your book, and meet us to chat! If you're using Zoom for the first time, be sure to position your screen so that your appearance is as flattering as possible [lighting and screen positioning seem to be the keys!] Be sure you've turned your sound on so you can hear others. You can mute yourself so that background noises don't spoil the meeting, and un-mute yourself when you want to speak.
Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 9:00am to 10:00am
111 5th Ave. South
Edmonds, WA 98020
Availability: Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Published: Penguin Books - May 7th, 2019
Availability: Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Published: Penguin Books - May 12th, 2015