- Browse Books
- WOTS 2020
- Book Blog
- Bookshop Staff Holiday Gift Recommendations 2020
- 11/20/20: "Unsettled Ground" examines the shifting legacy of the 1847 Whitman massacre
- 11/19/20: Seattle’s indie booksellers suggest perfect gifts
- 11/18/2020: 6 new paperbacks
- 11/18/2020: National Book Awards announced
- Barack Obama Memoir November 17, 2020
- 15 Feel good books recommended by The Washington Post
- 11/11/2020: The Plot Thickens recommends recent crime books
- 11/12/2020: Shop Indie Bookstores now!
- 11/10/2020: Megan Rapinoe's new memoir "One Life"
- 10 books to read in November from the Washington Post
- 11/19/2020: 10 best books of 2020 from The Washington Post
- 11/23/2020: NYT Book Review 10 Best Books of 2020
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
**RESCHEDULED** Zoom Book Club! "Subduction" by Kristen Millares Young
"Subduction" by Kristen Millares Young.
"Fleeing the shattered remains of her marriage and a betrayal by her sister, in the throes of a midlife freefall, Latina anthropologist Claudia retreats from Seattle to Neah Bay, a Native American whaling village on the jagged Pacific coast. Claudia yearns to lose herself to the songs of the tribe and the secrets of her guide, a spirited hoarder named Maggie. But when, spurred by his mother's failing memory, Maggie's prodigal son Peter returns seeking answers to his father's murder, Claudia discovers in him the abandon she craves. Through the passionate and violent collision of these two outsiders, "Subduction" portrays not only their strange allegiance after grievous losses but also their imperfect attempts to find community on the Makah Indian Reservation.
Ms. Young earned her MFA from the University of Washington. From 2016 to 2019, Kristen served as board chair of InvestigateWest, a nonprofit news studio she cofounded in Seattle.
To prepare for our virtual book club:
1. Send us an email here: EdmondsBookshopBookClub@gmail.com to register your email for book club membership. We will send you an invitation with a Zoom Meeting link as each book club meeting is scheduled. Once you accept the invitation it will show up in your calendar.
2. If you are not already using Zoom for family or business virtual meetings signing up for your free Zoom account is very easy. Start here: Zoom
Click on "SIGN UP, IT'S FREE" on the top right, fill in the info, and you're ready! You can choose to download the Zoom app to your desktop or continue to use Zoom in your browser. Alternatively you can download the Zoom app to your phone or tablet and sign up within the app. The Zoom app is available in the iOS and Android app stores.
[Zoom has some great help/testng for audio and video when you sign up... if you have any other issues/questions, or just would like a little help with any of the tech issues, please reach out and we will get you hooked up! Email us here.]
3. On the scheduled day and time, click on the book club meeting link in the invitation to launch Zoom and join the meeting. Though you shouldn't need to, you can also enter the Meeting ID, and password [case sensitive] if prompted. Susan will be the moderator/host of the meeting.
Bring a beverage of your choice, bring your book, and meet us to chat! If you're using Zoom for the first time, be sure to position your screen so that your appearance is as flattering as possible [lighting and screen positioning seem to be the keys!] Be sure you've turned your sound on so you can hear others. You can mute yourself so that background noises don't spoil the meeting, and un-mute yourself when you want to speak.
Friday, November 27, 2020 - 9:00am to 10:00am
111 5th Ave. South
Edmonds, WA 98020