- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 1/21/2020: Paperback picks from The Seattle Times
- 1/15/2020: "A Very Stable Genius" New book portrays Trump as erratic, ‘at times dangerously uninformed’
- 1/21/2020: Ciscoe Morris has a new book!
- 1/20/2020: Reporters who broke Harvey Weinstein story to speak at Benaroya Hall.
- 1/17/2020:Historian Knute Berger adds a new introduction to a classic book about Seattle
- 1/16/2020: Why do catchy lyrics always get stuck in your head?
- 1/11/2020: Finalists announced for the NBCC 2019 Awards.
- 1/8/2020: New paperbacks to start your new year!
- 1/1/2020: President Obama's favorite books of 2019
- 1/1/2020: 5 of the most highly anticipated books of 2020
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Join us for a special Children's Story + Activity hour!
We welcome Laura McGee Kvasnosky and her new book "Squeak!"
The creative duo behind "Little Wolf's First Howling" (2017) returns with this ode to animals of the American West.
The alliteration, combined with a wealth of rich sounds, makes the book a joy to read aloud.
A mouse wakes up with a squeak, and his noise sets off a chain reaction of animals waking each other up.
And so goes the chain-reaction story set in a beautiful, rolling landscape with animals who are all woken up one by one with the rising of the sun. With lush and vivid art, and plenty of fun animal noises on each page, this story is a perfect read-aloud to wake up to--or to read any time of day.
Laura will read her new book aloud, and there will also be a fun activity for the kids!
A surefire hit for storytime, one-on-one reading, and gift giving. Preschool-Grade 2; ages 3 to 7.
Laura's husband, John, made a short trailer to introduce the book, with music from their son, Tim. We invite you to take a look, then, like the mouse in the book, make some noise about "SQUEAK!" to share it with other readers, young and old. The trailer, here.
Laura McGee Kvasnosky (www.lmkbooks.com) grew up in Northern California. She is the author of the Zelda and Ivy books, one of which won dual Golden Kite Honors Awards in 1999 from the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), and the American Library Association's 2007 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award as America's most distinguished book for beginning readers published that year. Laura lives in Seattle.
Along with Kate Harvey McGee, she is also the author of "Little Wolf's First Howling," which won the Margaret Wise Brown Honor Book Award for children's literature text.
Kate Harvey McGee is a celebrated fine artist who specializes in pastel landscapes. Her work has been exhibited widely in the Pacific Northwest. "Little Wolf's First Howling," which she illustrated with Laura McGee Kvasnosky, was her first children's book. Kate lives in Oregon.
Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 1:00pm to 2:00pm
111 5th Ave. South
Edmonds, WA 98020