- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 4/23/19: New Book Tuesday!
- 4/21/19: Pacific NW Magazine cover story: "Seattle Prohibition"
- 4/16/19: New Book Tuesday!
- 4/14/19: Nirvana’s manager breaks his silence on Kurt Cobain
- 4/12/19: New paperbacks!
- Seattle Reads 2019 Title: "The Best We Could Do"
- 4/1/19: Moira’s Book Club has chosen their next book
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Manhattan Beach (Paperback)
Coming Soon - Available for Pre-Order Now
October 2017 Indie Next List
“Jennifer Egan's Manhattan Beach captures a time and place on the verge of momentous change. Set in Brooklyn in the 1940s, the novel tells the story of Anna Kerrigan, a young woman who has dropped out of Brooklyn College to contribute what she can to the American war effort. Unsatisfied with her job of inspecting and measuring machine parts, she attempts to enter the male-only world of deep-sea diving. Manhattan Beach is rich and atmospheric, highlighting a period when gangs controlled the waterfront, jazz streamed from the doors of nightclubs, and the future for everyone was far from certain.”
— Mark LaFramboise, Politics & Prose Books and Coffee Shop, Washington, DC