- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 2/1/2023: Washington Post chooses 10 noteworthy books for February
- 2/1/2013: New York Times recommends 13 New Books Coming in February
- 2023 Celebration of Black History Month!
- 1/12/2023: Books we're looking forward to this year!
- 1/12/23: We have January 6th Reports!
- 1/5/2023: Monica Guzman Event at the Edmonds Waterfront Center
- 1/5/23. The PNBA Award Winners have been announced!
- 1/1/2023: The New York Times recommends 10 New Books Coming in January
- 1/1/2023: Washington post chooses 10 noteworthy books for January
- 12/26/2022: Books to look forward to in 2023, from Moira Macdonald at The Seattle Times
- 12/23/22: Barack Obama Shares his Favorite Books of 2022
- 12/1/2022: 2022 Staff Favorites!
- 11/29/22: New York Times Book Review choose 10 Best Books of 2022
- 11/17/22: The Washington Post names 10 best books of 2022
- npr recent book reviews and author interviews
- February 2023 Orders/Pre-orders!
- January 2023 Seattle Times Catch-Up
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Malibu Rising: A Novel (CD-Audio)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
June 2021 Indie Next List
“This ode to Malibu in the 1980s is the perfect beach read. Four famous siblings throw a star-studded party and over the course of 24 hours find their lives changed forever. It’s enthralling and layered and so vivid it could be a memory. Perfectly paced and suspenseful from page one!”
— Meagan Dallner, Books Are Awesome, Parker, CO
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • Read with Jenna Book Club Pick as Featured on Today • From the author of Carrie Soto Is Back, Daisy Jones & The Six, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo . . .
“Irresistible . . . High drama at the beach, starring four sexy, surfing siblings and their deadbeat, famous-crooner dad.”—People
ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR: The Washington Post, Time, Marie Claire, PopSugar, Parade, Teen Vogue, Self, She Reads
Four famous siblings throw an epic party to celebrate the end of the summer. But over the course of twenty-four hours, the family drama that ensues will change their lives forever.
Malibu: August 1983. It’s the day of Nina Riva’s annual end-of-summer party, and anticipation is at a fever pitch. Everyone wants to be around the famous Rivas: Nina, the talented surfer and supermodel; brothers Jay and Hud, one a championship surfer, the other a renowned photographer; and their adored baby sister, Kit. Together the siblings are a source of fascination in Malibu and the world over—especially as the offspring of the legendary singer Mick Riva.
The only person not looking forward to the party of the year is Nina herself, who never wanted to be the center of attention, and who has also just been very publicly abandoned by her pro tennis player husband. Oh, and maybe Hud—because it is long past time for him to confess something to the brother from whom he’s been inseparable since birth.
Jay, on the other hand, is counting the minutes until nightfall, when the girl he can’t stop thinking about promised she’ll be there.
And Kit has a couple secrets of her own—including a guest she invited without consulting anyone.
By midnight the party will be completely out of control. By morning, the Riva mansion will have gone up in flames. But before that first spark in the early hours before dawn, the alcohol will flow, the music will play, and the loves and secrets that shaped this family’s generations will all come rising to the surface.
Malibu Rising is a story about one unforgettable night in the life of a family: the night they each have to choose what they will keep from the people who made them . . . and what they will leave behind.
“If summer could somehow fit into a book, then you’d find it in Malibu Rising.”—Oprah Daily
“Reid has once again crafted a fast-paced, engaging novel that smoothly transports readers between decades and story lines.”—The Washington Post
“Taylor Jenkins Reid soars with Malibu Rising.”—Associated Press
“Reid delivers a breathtaking, epic family novel.”—Marie Claire
“A compulsively fun read.”—Today
“Reid’s descriptions of Malibu are so evocative that readers will swear they feel the sea breeze on their faces or the grit of the sand between their toes. . . . A compulsively readable story about the bonds between family members and the power of breaking free.”—Kirkus Reviews
“Whatever Reid releases has become a major literary event. And her latest more than lives up to the expectations.”—E! Online
“Malibu Rising is a fun, unforgettable read.”—Business Insider
“Taylor Jenkins Reid sure knows how to tell a story. . . . It’s an unforgettable book about an unforgettable night.”—HelloGiggles