- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 1/21/2020: Paperback picks from The Seattle Times
- 1/15/2020: "A Very Stable Genius" New book portrays Trump as erratic, ‘at times dangerously uninformed’
- 1/21/2020: Ciscoe Morris has a new book!
- 1/20/2020: Reporters who broke Harvey Weinstein story to speak at Benaroya Hall.
- 1/17/2020:Historian Knute Berger adds a new introduction to a classic book about Seattle
- 1/16/2020: Why do catchy lyrics always get stuck in your head?
- 1/11/2020: Finalists announced for the NBCC 2019 Awards.
- 1/8/2020: New paperbacks to start your new year!
- 1/1/2020: President Obama's favorite books of 2019
- 1/1/2020: 5 of the most highly anticipated books of 2020
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
The Lying Life of Adults (Hardcover)
Not Yet Published
A powerful new novel set in a divided Naples by Elena Ferrante, the beloved best-selling author of My Brilliant Friend.
Giovanna's pretty face has changed: it's turning into the face of an ugly, spiteful adolescent. But is she seeing things as they really are? Into which mirror must she look to find herself and save herself?
She is searching for a new face in two kindred cities that fear and detest one another: the Naples of the heights, which assumes a mask of refinement, and the Naples of the depths, which professes to be a place of excess and vulgarity. She moves between these two cities, disoriented by the fact that, whether high or low, the city seems to offer no answer and no escape.