- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 2/17/19: Reviews + Columns
- Moira's Seattle Times Book Club
- 2/12/19: New Book Tuesday
- 2/7/19: Recent reviews + columns
- Scriber Lake High students release a new book!
- February Upcoming Releases
- PBS Now Read This Book Club announces February title
- 1/27/19 Reviews + Columns
- Great Beacon article about Lisa Reddick
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
The Age of Innocence (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
The Age of Innocence centers on one society couple's impending marriage and the introduction of a scandalous woman whose presence threatens their happiness. Though the novel questions the assumptions and mores of turn of the century New York society, it never devolves into an outright condemnation of the institution. In fact, Wharton considered this novel an "apology" for the earlier, more brutal and critical, "The House of Mirth." Not to be overlooked is the author's attention to detailing the charms and customs of this caste.