- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 1/21/2020: Ciscoe Morris has a new book!
- 1/20/2020: Reporters who broke Harvey Weinstein story to speak at Benaroya Hall.
- 1/17/2020:Historian Knute Berger adds a new introduction to a classic book about Seattle
- 1/16/2020: Why do catchy lyrics always get stuck in your head?
- 1/15/2020: New book portrays Trump as erratic, ‘at times dangerously uninformed’
- 1/11/2020: Finalists announced for the NBCC 2019 Awards.
- 1/8/2020: New paperbacks to start your new year!
- 1/1/2020: President Obama's favorite books of 2019
- 1/1/2020: 5 of the most highly anticipated books of 2020
- 12/10/19: Bill Gates names 5 of his favorite books of 2019
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • OPRAH’S BOOK CLUB PICK • NAACP IMAGE AWARD WINNER
In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of America—the first African American to serve in that role—she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history, while also establishing herself as a powerful advocate for women and girls in the U.S. and around the world, dramatically changing the ways that families pursue healthier and more active lives, and standing with her husband as he led America through some of its most harrowing moments. Along the way, she showed us a few dance moves, crushed Carpool Karaoke, and raised two down-to-earth daughters under an unforgiving media glare.
In her memoir, a work of deep reflection and mesmerizing storytelling, Michelle Obama invites readers into her world, chronicling the experiences that have shaped her—from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago to her years as an executive balancing the demands of motherhood and work, to her time spent at the world’s most famous address. With unerring honesty and lively wit, she describes her triumphs and her disappointments, both public and private, telling her full story as she has lived it—in her own words and on her own terms. Warm, wise, and revelatory, Becoming is the deeply personal reckoning of a woman of soul and substance who has steadily defied expectations—and whose story inspires us to do the same.
About the Author
Michelle Robinson Obama served as First Lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017. A graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Law School, Mrs. Obama started her career as an attorney at the Chicago law firm Sidley & Austin, where she met her future husband, Barack Obama. She later worked in the Chicago mayor’s office, at the University of Chicago, and at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Mrs. Obama also founded the Chicago chapter of Public Allies, an organization that prepares young people for careers in public service.
The Obamas currently live in Washington, DC, and have two daughters, Malia and Sasha.