- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 11/17/22: The Washington Post names 10 best books of 2022
- 11/16/22: 2022 National Book Award Winners Announced
- 11/1/22. The PNBA shortlist has been announced!
- 11/1/2022: Washington Post chooses 10 noteworthy books for November
- November 2022 Seattle Times Books Catch-Up!
- 10/27/22: From the New York Times 15 Books Coming in November
- 10/11/22: MacArthur Foundation Announces "Genius Awards"
- 10/6/22: 2022 Nobel Prize for Literature Announced
- Fall 2022 Cookbooks.
- 2022 Big Fall Books!
- Signed Editions make great gifts!
- npr recent book reviews and author interviews
- Boxed Notecards!
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
The Shell Collector: Stories (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
The "perilously beautiful" (Boston Globe) first story collection by the author of the acclaimed Pulitzer Prize-winning #1 New York Times bestseller All The Light We Cannot See and Cloud Cuckoo Land.
The exquisitely crafted stories in Anthony Doerr’s debut collection take readers from the African Coast to the pine forests of Montana to the damp moors of Lapland, charting a vast physical and emotional landscape. Doerr explores the human condition in all its varieties—metamorphosis, grief, fractured relationships, and slowly mending hearts—conjuring nature in both its beautiful abundance and crushing power. Some of the characters in these stories contend with hardships; some discover unique gifts; all are united by their ultimate deference to the ravishing universe outside themselves.
About the Author
Anthony Doerr is the author of Cloud Cuckoo Land, which was a finalist for the National Book Award, and All the Light We Cannot See, winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Carnegie Medal, the Alex Award, and a #1 New York Times bestseller. He is also the author of the story collections Memory Wall and The Shell Collector, the novel About Grace, and the memoir Four Seasons in Rome. He has won five O. Henry Prizes, the Rome Prize, the New York Public Library’s Young Lions Award, the National Magazine Award for fiction, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and the Story Prize. Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, Doerr lives in Boise, Idaho, with his wife and two sons.
"The Shell Collector is breathtaking.... Perilously beautiful." --Boston Globe
“Doerr’s prose dazzles, his sinewy sentences blending the naturalists’ unswerving gaze with the poet’s gift for metaphor.”—The New York Times Book Review
“Anthony Doerr is a gifted and fearless new writer. He is absolutely unafraid to take on the biggest themes of the human condition, always writing about heroes and their various epic journeys. The Shell Collector is unforgettable—not so much a book of short stories as a book of short myths.”—Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love