- 2021 Holiday Catalog
- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 11/30/2021: Washington Post recommends 10 books to read in December
- 11/24/2021: New York Times picks 8 books to read in December
- 11/30/2021: New York Times chooses Best Books of 2021
- 11/18/2021: Washington Post chooses the 10 best books of 2021
- 2021 Staff Recommendations for Holiday Gifting
- 11/17/2021: 2021 National Book Award Winners Announced
- 11/8/2021: 2022 Pacific Northwest Book Awards Shortlist Announced
- October 2021: Gifting suggestions: Beautiful editions of classics with bonus content!
- 10/7/2021: Nobel Prize in Literature: Abdulrazak Gurnah
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
The Shell Collector: Stories (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
The "perilously beautiful" (Boston Globe) first story collection by the author of the acclaimed Pulitzer Prize-winning #1 New York Times bestseller All The Light We Cannot See and Cloud Cuckoo Land.
The exquisitely crafted stories in Anthony Doerr’s debut collection take readers from the African Coast to the pine forests of Montana to the damp moors of Lapland, charting a vast physical and emotional landscape. Doerr explores the human condition in all its varieties—metamorphosis, grief, fractured relationships, and slowly mending hearts—conjuring nature in both its beautiful abundance and crushing power. Some of the characters in these stories contend with hardships; some discover unique gifts; all are united by their ultimate deference to the ravishing universe outside themselves.
About the Author
Anthony Doerr is the author of All the Light We Cannot See, winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Carnegie Medal, the Alex Award, and a #1 New York Times bestseller. He is also the author of the story collections Memory Wall and The Shell Collector, the novel About Grace, and the memoir Four Seasons in Rome. He has won five O. Henry Prizes, the Rome Prize, the New York Public Library’s Young Lions Award, the National Magazine Award for fiction, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and the Story Prize. Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, Doerr lives in Boise, Idaho, with his wife and two sons.
"The Shell Collector is breathtaking.... Perilously beautiful." --Boston Globe
“Doerr’s prose dazzles, his sinewy sentences blending the naturalists’ unswerving gaze with the poet’s gift for metaphor.”—The New York Times Book Review
“Anthony Doerr is a gifted and fearless new writer. He is absolutely unafraid to take on the biggest themes of the human condition, always writing about heroes and their various epic journeys. The Shell Collector is unforgettable—not so much a book of short stories as a book of short myths.”—Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love