- Browse Books
- 2023 IBD Exclusive Merchandise
- Book Blog
- Pre-Order the new Patrick Rothfuss: "The Narrow Road Between Desires"
- 9/15/23: NPR recommends books for For Hispanic Heritage Month
- 9/8/2023: Moira Macdonald recommends a dozen must-read new books for fall
- 9/5/2023: 2023 Washington State Book Award nominees
- September 2023 Pre-Orders!
- 8/31/2023: Washington Post selects 10 Noteworthy Books for September
- 8/30/2023: From The New York Times 16 Books to Read in September
- August 2023. Staff recommendations for rest of summer reading!
- 7/31/23: Moira Macdonald’s new paperback recommendations
- 7/28/23: Washington Post: 12 books to get you to the end of the summer and beyond
- 7/20/23: Barack Obama recommends Summer Reads!
- Seattle Arts + Lectures Announces 2023/24 Season!
- 12/1/2022: 2022 Staff Favorites!
- 2023 Banned Books Week
- npr recent book reviews and author interviews
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
- Information for Authors
You are hereBack to top
To Infinity and Beyond: A Journey of Cosmic Discovery (Hardcover)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
This enlightening illustrated narrative by the world’s most celebrated astrophysicist explains the universe from the solar system to the farthest reaches of space with authority and humor.
No one can make the mysteries of the universe more comprehensible and fun than Neil deGrasse Tyson. Drawing on mythology, history, and literature—alongside his trademark wit and charm—Tyson and StarTalk senior producer Lindsey Nyx Walker bring planetary science down to Earth and principles of astrophysics within reach. In this entertaining book, illustrated with vivid photographs and art, readers travel through space and time, starting with the Big Bang and voyaging to the far reaches of the universe and beyond. Along the way, science greets pop culture as Tyson explains the triumphs—and bloopers—in Hollywood’s blockbusters: all part of an entertaining ride through the cosmos.
The book begins as we leave Earth, encountering new truths about our planet’s atmosphere, the nature of sunlight, and the many missions that have demystified our galactic neighbors. But the farther out we travel, the weirder things get. What’s a void and what’s a vacuum? How can light be a wave and a particle at the same time? When we finally arrive in the blackness of outer space, Tyson takes on the spookiest phenomena of the cosmos: parallel worlds, black holes, time travel, and more.
For science junkies and fans of the conundrums that astrophysicists often ponder, To Infinity and Beyond is an enlightening adventure into the farthest reaches of the cosmos.
About the Author
Legendary astrophysicist NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON is the host of the acclaimed podcast StarTalk Radio and Emmy award-winning National Geographic Channel shows StarTalk and Cosmos. He earned his BA in physics from Harvard and his Ph.D. in astrophysics from Columbia. The author of more than a dozen books, Tyson is the first Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium. He lives in New York City with his wife and two children. Facebook: Neil deGrasse Tyson. Instagram: @neildegrassetyson. Twitter: @neiltyson.