- Browse Books
- WOTS 2020
- Book Blog
- Bookshop Staff Holiday Gift Recommendations 2020
- 11/23/2020: NYT Book Review 10 Best Books of 2020
- 11/19/2020: 10 best books of 2020 from The Washington Post
- 11/20/20: "Unsettled Ground" examines the shifting legacy of the 1847 Whitman massacre
- 11/19/20: Seattle’s indie booksellers suggest perfect gifts
- 11/18/2020: 6 new paperbacks
- 11/18/2020: National Book Awards announced
- Barack Obama Memoir November 17, 2020
- By-Appointment Holiday Shopping
- 15 Feel good books recommended by The Washington Post
- 11/11/2020: The Plot Thickens recommends recent crime books
- 11/12/2020: Shop Indie Bookstores now!
- 11/10/2020: Megan Rapinoe's new memoir "One Life"
- 10 books to read in November from the Washington Post
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Virgil Wander (Paperback)
October 2018 Indie Next List
“From the fated flight of Virgil Wander’s Pontiac into the frigid waters of Lake Superior to an encounter with Rune, an enigmatic kite enthusiast searching for word of a long-lost son, and other interactions with the citizens of Greenstone, Minnesota, Leif Enger’s new novel is a most welcome, albeit quirky, story of words and people lost and found. Lovers of Peace Like a River, rejoice! Enger is back with another enchanting and enriching tale of community and revival, with his ever-deft touch of magic and grace. A perfect remedy for those whose hearts ache from our present reality, Virgil Wanderis a treasure to be shared with all readers.”
— Mark Nichols, Bank Square Books, Mystic, CT
The first novel in ten years from award-winning, bestselling author Leif Enger, Virgil Wander is a sweeping story of new beginnings against all odds that follows the inhabitants of a hard luck town in their quest to revive its flagging heart. Carried aloft by quotidian pleasures of kite-flying, movies, fishing, baseball, necking in parked cars and falling in love, Virgil Wander is a swift, full journey into the heart and heartache of an often overlooked upper Midwest by an award-winning master storyteller.