- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 3/5/2023: Recent Memoirs + Biographies About Women
- Elaine's March 2023 column: Historical Fiction by and About Women
- 3/1/2023: Washington Post chooses 10 noteworthy books for March
- 3/1/2023: The New York Times Recommends New Books for March
- March 2023 Pre-Orders!
- 2/7/2023: Beautiful and Cute Little Books!
- February 2023 Seattle Times Catch Up!
- 1/12/2023: Books we're looking forward to this year!
- 1/5/23. The PNBA Award Winners have been announced!
- 12/1/2022: 2022 Staff Favorites!
- npr recent book reviews and author interviews
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
- Information for Authors
You are hereBack to top
The London Séance Society (Hardcover)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
March 2023 Indie Next List
“The London Séance Society proves that the sophomore novel can be just as explosive as the first! Penner weaves readers through the dark, mysterious streets of Paris and London in a fast-paced thrill ride. This book is a perfect escape!”
— Kelsey Jagneaux, Tombolo Books, St. Petersburg, FL
THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
From the author of the sensational bestseller The Lost Apothecary comes a spellbinding tale about two daring women who hunt for truth and justice in the perilous art of conjuring the dead.
1873. At an abandoned ch teau on the outskirts of Paris, a dark's ance is about to take place, led by acclaimed spiritualist Vaudeline D'Allaire. Known worldwide for her talent in conjuring the spirits of murder victims to ascertain the identities of the people who killed them, she is highly sought after by widows and investigators alike.
Lenna Wickes has come to Paris to find answers about her sister's death, but to do so, she must embrace the unknown and overcome her own logic-driven bias against the occult. When Vaudeline is beckoned to England to solve a high-profile murder, Lenna accompanies her as an understudy. With shared determination, the women find companionship that perhaps borders on something more. And as they team up with the powerful men of London's exclusive S ance Society to solve the mystery, they begin to suspect that they are not merely out to solve a crime, but perhaps entangled in one themselves...
Written with intoxicating suspense and sultry prose, The London S ance Society is an entrancing tale that blurs the lines between truth and illusion, and reveals the grave risks women will take to avenge the ones they love.
"Penner brings history to vivid life in this atmospheric and evocative whodunnit." --Nita Prose, author of The Maid
Named a Most Anticipated book by Good Housekeeping, Washington Post, Bookpage, CrimeReads, Readers Digest, Popsugar, LitHub, E News, Goodreads, and more