- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 2/1/2023: Washington Post chooses 10 noteworthy books for February
- 2/1/2013: New York Times recommends 13 New Books Coming in February
- 2023 Celebration of Black History Month!
- 1/12/2023: Books we're looking forward to this year!
- 1/12/23: We have January 6th Reports!
- 1/5/2023: Monica Guzman Event at the Edmonds Waterfront Center
- 1/5/23. The PNBA Award Winners have been announced!
- 1/1/2023: The New York Times recommends 10 New Books Coming in January
- 1/1/2023: Washington post chooses 10 noteworthy books for January
- 12/26/2022: Books to look forward to in 2023, from Moira Macdonald at The Seattle Times
- 12/23/22: Barack Obama Shares his Favorite Books of 2022
- 12/1/2022: 2022 Staff Favorites!
- 11/29/22: New York Times Book Review choose 10 Best Books of 2022
- 11/17/22: The Washington Post names 10 best books of 2022
- npr recent book reviews and author interviews
- February 2023 Orders/Pre-orders!
- January 2023 Seattle Times Catch-Up
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Strum and Drum: A Merry Little Quest (Hardcover)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
A pair of Christmas tree ornaments set out on the merry adventure of a lifetime in this imaginative picture book about the inner lives of holiday decorations.
All is quiet in the forest as the Great Star rises in the distance, and two little musicians, Strum and Drum, wake up from a deep slumber and set out to make the most joyous music they can! But as Strum strums his guitar and Drum drums her drum on their way to the North, some mysterious obstacles fill their paths . . . flickering lanterns, bubbles of glass, a silver waterfall, a tiny house, dangerous animals . . . and a wooden man with a toothy grin warns them of a beast with green eyes lying in wait. For this is no ordinary forest — it's a Christmas tree, on Christmas Eve, and Strum, Drum and all their new friends are ornaments! But when the green-eyed beast strikes and sends them tumbling out of the “forest,” Strum and Drum’s quest to reach the Great Star seems doomed . . . until a little boy setting out milk and cookies for Santa spots them.
About the Author
JASHAR AWAN is an author-illustrator. His debut picture book, What a Lucky Day!, met with critical acclaim. His most recent book, Only Ants for Andy, was one of five "Books for Young Children" selected for the 2023 & 2024 Choose to Read Ohio Booklist. Before turning his talents to literature for children, Jashar was a frequent art contributor to The New Yorker, particularly their "Goings On About Town" section. He has also illustrated for the New York Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Wall Street Journal and Dark Horse Comics. In December 2020, he was profiled by Publishers Weekly in their "Fall 2020 Flying Starts" as one of the most promising children's debut authors. A longtime New Yorker, Jashar now lives in Ohio with his wife and son.
"This clever Christmas tale uses two distinct drawing styles to shift perspective. The surprising ending will have readers returning for a second, or even third, look." —School Library Journal
"[A] dreamy, candy-colored world in which adventure and danger lurk . . . that will have readers quickly flipping back to the book’s beginning to launch the journey with fresh eyes.” —Publishers Weekly
"Awan’s enchanting, stylized illustrations are effectively varied, heightening the little drama. . . . Don’t worry, Strum and Drum reach the Great Star, where they make music from on high." —The Horn Book
"[A] cheerful Christmas tale that will bring a smile to young readers." —Seattle Book Review