- 2021 Holiday Catalog
- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- December 2021 Bonus list! Our favorite books of the year.
- 11/30/2021: Washington Post recommends 10 books to read in December
- 11/24/2021: New York Times picks 8 books to read in December
- 11/30/2021: New York Times chooses Best Books of 2021
- 11/18/2021: Washington Post chooses the 10 best books of 2021
- 2021 Staff Recommendations for Holiday Gifting
- November 2021: Books from the NYT 2021 Holiday Gift Guide
- 11/17/2021: 2021 National Book Award Winners Announced
- 11/8/2021: 2022 Pacific Northwest Book Awards Shortlist Announced
- October 2021: Gifting suggestions: Beautiful editions of classics with bonus content!
- 10/7/2021: Nobel Prize in Literature: Abdulrazak Gurnah
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1) (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
In a future where the Population Police enforce the law limiting a family to only two children, Luke, an illegal third child, has lived all his twelve years in isolation and fear on his family's farm in this start to the Shadow Children series from Margaret Peterson Haddix.
Luke has never been to school. He's never had a birthday party, or gone to a friend's house for an overnight. In fact, Luke has never had a friend.
Luke is one of the shadow children, a third child forbidden by the Population Police. He's lived his entire life in hiding, and now, with a new housing development replacing the woods next to his family's farm, he is no longer even allowed to go outside.
Then, one day Luke sees a girl's face in the window of a house where he knows two other children already live. Finally, he's met a shadow child like himself. Jen is willing to risk everything to come out of the shadows—does Luke dare to become involved in her dangerous plan? Can he afford not to?
About the Author
Margaret Peterson Haddix is the author of many critically and popularly acclaimed YA and middle grade novels, including the Children of Exile series, The Missing series, the Under Their Skin series, and the Shadow Children series. A graduate of Miami University (of Ohio), she worked for several years as a reporter for The Indianapolis News. She also taught at the Danville (Illinois) Area Community College. She lives with her family in Columbus, Ohio. Visit her at HaddixBooks.com.