- 2021 Holiday Catalog
- Browse Books
- Book Blog
- 11/18/2021: Washington Post chooses the 10 best books of 2021
- 2021 Staff Recommendations for Holiday Gifting
- 11/17/2021: 2021 National Book Award Winners Announced
- 11/8/2021: 2022 Pacific Northwest Book Awards Shortlist Announced
- 11/2/2021: 10 books to read in November From The Washinton Post
- October 2021: Gifting suggestions: Beautiful editions of classics with bonus content!
- 10/28/2021: November books from the New York Times
- 10/20/2021: Michelle was on Evening Magazine on King 5!
- 10/10/2021: a week of Seattle Times book reviews
- 10/7/2021: Nobel Prize in Literature: Abdulrazak Gurnah
- 10/5/2021: Adult books for teens who are ready to read beyond the YA shelf.
- 10/5/2021: Supply chain woes have hit the book world! Paperbacks to buy soon.
- 10/4/2021: 2021 Finalists for National Book Awards announced.
- 9/16/2021: NYT Fall Books Preview: Fiction
- Latest Book Club choices from Oprah, Reese, Jenna + GMA
- Links for Book People
You are hereBack to top
The Premonition: A Pandemic Story (Hardcover)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
New York Times Bestseller
For those who could read between the lines, the censored news out of China was terrifying. But the president insisted there was nothing to worry about.
Fortunately, we are still a nation of skeptics. Fortunately, there are those among us who study pandemics and are willing to look unflinchingly at worst-case scenarios. Michael Lewis’s taut and brilliant nonfiction thriller pits a band of medical visionaries against the wall of ignorance that was the official response of the Trump administration to the outbreak of COVID-19.
The characters you will meet in these pages are as fascinating as they are unexpected. A thirteen-year-old girl’s science project on transmission of an airborne pathogen develops into a very grown-up model of disease control. A local public-health officer uses her worm’s-eye view to see what the CDC misses, and reveals great truths about American society. A secret team of dissenting doctors, nicknamed the Wolverines, has everything necessary to fight the pandemic: brilliant backgrounds, world-class labs, prior experience with the pandemic scares of bird flu and swine flu…everything, that is, except official permission to implement their work.
Michael Lewis is not shy about calling these people heroes for their refusal to follow directives that they know to be based on misinformation and bad science. Even the internet, as crucial as it is to their exchange of ideas, poses a risk to them. They never know for sure who else might be listening in.
About the Author
Michael Lewis is the best-selling author of Liar’s Poker, Moneyball, The Blind Side, The Big Short, The Undoing Project, and The Fifth Risk. He lives in Berkeley, California, with his wife and three children.
Lewis brings a welcome gimlet eye to the Trump era… the lessons of the “The Premonition” apply to more than just the C.D.C. — they tell us why government bureaucracies fail.
— Nick Confessore - New York Times Book Review
An urgent, highly readable contribution to the literature of what might be called the politics of disease.
— Kirkus Reviews (starred review)